Traditionally, proxies have a reputation for being used to hide a PC users source IP address to shield them from exposing their true identity. Other times, they’re used to improve a users experience where an alternative proxy adds benefits to a the overall performance of one’s search experience. This is the case when using proxies with uBuyFirst and we’ll explain when you should use proxies, what advantage it will give you and recommend proxy services that are tried and tested by ourselves and other users.
How Proxies Work with eBay?
The main reason users use proxies is to gain an advantage in seeing newly listed Buy-It-Now items before others. Each time your PC makes a call to eBay, the request is routed through your service provider and pings eBay’s DNS servers. From here, the request is “redirected” to one of eBay’s many data servers located around the globe, but usually always within your own country.
When an eBay listing is posted to eBay by a seller, the listing data goes to one of eBay’s servers and then needs to be replicated across all of eBay’s servers before it’s truly synced and able to be accessed by all. As mentioned above, the same happens when an eBay search is being called; You’re only hitting one of eBay’s servers with the hopes that the newly listed item you’re looking for has been propagated to this specific server location.
While there is not a full understanding of how and why eBay directs search request to specific listing servers, research shows us that the more various locations we search from, the better chance we’ll have at hitting various different listings servers. Hitting as many different listings servers as possible will increase your overall ability to find newly listed items on eBay.
This is why proxies are suggested for power buyers who want to gain slight advantages over competing buyers.
What Advantage Will Proxies give me?
Our research shows about a 2-3 second advantage overall. Remember, this is averages across extended periods of times with thousands of listings. Overall it will appear as if the time found is the same unless you save and analysis the data. The 2-3 Seconds average saw many listings found 5-30 seconds sooner but when averaged against many many listings (even some where proxies found items slower than normal) the averages suggest that using proxies helps give an overall benefit.
How to Enable and Setup Proxies
Click on the OPTIONS> USE PROXIES checkbox. This will enable proxies. Then click on the PROXY LIST arrow and a text area will appear on the screen where proxies should be entered.
The correct format for proxies is:
IP:Port:Login:Password:comment OR just IP:Port if you’ve authorized your IP with your proxy provider.
Proxy Providers & Other Suggestions:
We recommend Best Proxy and VPN. Mainly because we’ve used them for years and are reliable, affordable and have the features necessary. Regardless of who you pick, please consider the following when choosing a provider:
- Unlimited Bandwidth – Searching eBay listings can use a lot of data overtime so make sure you have no bandwidth restriction or the usage is under your providers allocation.
- Multi-Location – It’s best to sprinkle proxy locations over your country location for better overall results. Best Proxy and VPN has dozens within the US and internationally and can change the locations monthly if you wish. You can choose a different proxy location for each proxy within your package, not just 1 different location like other providers.
- IP White List – Having the ability to authorize your local IP prevents potential abuse from other users and limits one more barrier that has to authenticate during each call.
- HTTP Proxies – There are two kinds. HTTP and SOCKS. You need HTTP for uBuyFirst.
- Private IPs – No one else is using your IP addresses assigned (usually cheaper or free
How to Purchase and Setup Proxies with BestProxyandVPN.com
- Go to their website and then click on “Buy Proxies” on the top navigation
- Once on this page, select a package (6,12 or 24 is suggested. 12 is used by most of our users)
- Click to pay with paypal.
- Check paypal email for username/password
- Log back into bestproxyandvpn.com website and click “Preferred Locations”
Then a list of locations will appear. Choose ones within your country and spread them around a bit. Green dots next to proxy locations show where current proxies are setup. Remember, you can reset these locations monthly as well. Click “Get New IP’s” at the bottom of the page and wait about 15 minutes for the proxies to be setup.
Next click “Authorized IP’s” and click AUTODETECT IP and then ADD NEW IP
Then click on the “YOUR IP” from your proxy menu. Copy these and take to notepad and paste them into a new file. Delete the City/State text trailing the IP info, including the space after the port number.
Now, paste them into uBuyFirst proxy text field.